This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: mmap versus read benchmark
- To: zackw at stanford dot edu (Zack Weinberg)
- Subject: Re: mmap versus read benchmark
- From: Bourne-again Superuser <toor at dyson dot jdyson dot com>
- Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:55:36 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
Zack Weinberg said:
> If you look at the raw data, you find that to first order all the time
> is spent in user mode doing actual work. "Bourne-again Superuser"
> <email@example.com> predicted this. On my machine, the complete
> benchmark took one hour of wall time, of which only one minute was
> system activity. So we can conclude that mmap versus read is a
> first-order wash; but we want to dig a little deeper.
Darn'it -- another account that I forgot to setup my name correctly!!! :-(.