Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Robert Dewar wrote:
> But the number of people making changes to the core of the front end of
> g++ is quite small, indeed no larger than the group making changes to
> GNAT. And that I think is quite expected.

I beg to disagree.

% grep @ $GCC/gcc/gcc/cp/ChangeLog | sed -e 's/.*<\(.*\)>/\1/g' |sort -u |wc -l
      72

With about 10 duplicate entries due to varying e-mail addresses that makes
more than 60 code contributors this year alone!

Plus, there is a significant point I'm missing in this discussion:

As soon as any change to the C++ frontend of GCC happens, everyone on
this planet (with Internet access) immediately can test that with his
projects/on his platforms.

This has proved incredibly useful in the past, and let's not forget that
the GNU project not only consists of developers, but also of users!

pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at does not appear in cp/ChangeLog, but I am
tempted to believe that I have contributed a non-negligible amount of
time and effort in performing tests, generating test cases, and filing
and following bug reports!

Gerald