This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?
- To: Robert Dewar <dewar at gnat dot com>
- Subject: Re: Why not gnat Ada in gcc?
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 00:48:38 -0800
- Cc: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, law at redhat dot com, rms at gnu dot org
- References: <20001102025351.6992434DAF@nile.gnat.com>
On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 09:53:51PM -0500, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Actually from past experiences recently, e.g. with the ia64 port, I have
> been struck by how closed the development was.
I suppose I can see how anyone without Intel NDAs might think that.
The fact of the matter is that the development was very open, at
least to anyone who had proper Intel paperwork. HP did the initial
gcc and binutils work; Cygnus refined both and began optimization
work; folks from CERN, Intel, IBM, SGI, SuSE, TurboLinux, and VA
were testing new code regularly.
Things were done with as much community involvement as the lawyers
would allow.
r~