This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: gcc 4.6.0


On 8 June 2011 18:52, kevin diggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If by "self rpath" you mean setting rpath to the directory where gcc
>> is installed that won't help when people have installed gmp, mpfr and
>> mpc elsewhere (which they often do)
>>
> No, I mean adding an rpath with the path for these trouble makers into
> "whatever" in gcc needs to find them. A specific rpath isn't tied to a
> particular library, is it? For example if I build gcc using particular
> revision of gmp in a particular spot (hacked to include an rpath to
> find it). And then download and build a minor rev to gmp in a
> different place and remove the original. If I tell the dynamic linker
> about the new gmp will gcc still run?

Yes

>> See http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#rpath for why GCC doesn't set rpath
>> automatically, unlike some other compilers.
>>
> Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.
>
>> If you want it to have an rpath you have that option, using
>> appropriate linker flags or the LD_RUN_PATH environment variable.
>>
> Is this env in the install manual? I'll take a peek. Might give it a try.

Try "man ld"


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]