This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: gcc 4.6.0


Hi,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyway, by far the biggest problem is the "cannot compute suffix of
> object files" failure due to trying to install the prerequisite libs
> by hand in arbitrary places unknown to the dynamic linker. ?A more
> useful configure check would be to test that early on and fail with a
> meaningful message.
>

I hope to avoid getting flamed for this, but ...

If I give gcc a --with-gmp=<path>, I do NOT understand why that is not
enough. Though I admit I do not understand all of the dynamic library
location machinery. From what little I understand, If gcc built itself
with -rpath then all would be cool??? Maybe a new configure option:
--enable-self-rpath?

I don't know what else gmp *might* be used for on this system (in this
case a Toshiba A75 (3.2 GHz p4)). Debian 5.x did install a gmp
(library is libgmp.so.3.4.2). But I installed a specific version for
gcc to use. ... just cauz buildin stuff is a hoot.

kevin

P.S.:  why is the lib for gmp-4.3.2 called libgmp.so.3.5.2????????


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]