Re: How to add pthread support for GCC powerpc-eabi cross platform?

Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@wippies.com> writes:

> For a layman like me some things  sound  predestined like that Posix threads
> being an additional  feature in an Posix-compatible opsys  meanwhile  the
> standard C library like newlib implements the base Posix C functions.  The
> real priests will know more about these things. So...
>
> What is the "operating system" on the target?  Does it support Posix
> threads?
>
> At least Cygwin on Win32 uses newlib as the base C library and should
> support
> Posix threads. Also the RTEMS RTOS should use newlib and support Posix
> threads :
>
> http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/RTEMSFeatures
>
> So I would be really surprised if  newlib  should nowadays implement  some
> "operating system" too...

newlib used not only on cygwin and RTEMS, but also on pure embedded
systems with no operating system.  In that case newlib relies on
libgloss to provide some basic functionality.  In that scenario, it
makes sense to ask whether the newlib/libgloss combination provides
POSIX threads for a specific target.

In general, as far as I know, the answer is "no."  POSIX threads are
fairly difficult to implement correctly.

Ian