This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Is real(16) available on x86 platforms?


On Jan 14, 2007, at 10:16:12, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:

Your question is sort of wrong.

OK! Is 128-bit floating point type supported on AMD64 running the FX's x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu?

More precisely, I was trying to test a piece of code using
real(16) executing (not working) on a G5 under OSX 10.3 (PPC)
on an AMD64 box under linux where I got the error.

I was a bit surprised because as far as a know real(16) floats
are not supported by the G5 hardware, but a some software
emulation (gmp/mpfr?). I was just expecting the same for AMD64,
why shouldn't it be?

I think real(16) is implemented on PPC by combining two real(8) numbers suitably. That is slower than a hardware-supported implementation, but gives you the accuracy.


This is not available under Linux. You can use real(10) there if you can live with the reduced accuracy. Depending on your programme, you may need to specify -m128bit-long-double to use the same memory layout as real(16).

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>

My email is as private as my paper mail.  I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages.  Get my PGP key from www.keyserver.net.



Attachment: PGP.sig
Description: This is a digitally signed message part


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]