This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Is real(16) available on x86 platforms?


On Jan 14, 2007, at 09:46:57, Steve Kargl wrote:

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 03:52:48PM +0100, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:
Trying to use real kind 16 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
gfortran from gcc version 4.3.0 20061231, I get:

Error: Invalid real kind 16

Is real(16) available only on platforms not supporting
real(10)?

Your question is sort of wrong. real(16) is available on targets that support a 128-bit floating point type. If this FP is unavailable on the target, then real(16) is also unavailable. On these targets one sometimes fines an 80-bit FP type, so gfortran provides a real(10) (which I believe is padded out to 16 bytes).

I think real(10) is "usually" padded to 12 bytes (on IA32 machines). When the option -m128bit-long-double is given, it is padded to 16 bytes. That means the kind number encodes the accuracy, not the number of bytes.


-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>

My email is as private as my paper mail.  I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages.  Get my PGP key from www.keyserver.net.



Attachment: PGP.sig
Description: This is a digitally signed message part


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]