Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10

On 09.02.2012 07:33, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Nenad Vukicevic<nenad@intrepid.com> writes:

Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
following linking problem (no special configure switches):

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

Yes. Debian moved everything for some reason. It's a problem that must be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.

It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.

a patch is pending, but afaiu, Joseph requested some kind of official definition for the multiarch triplets which do not yet exist at this point of time. If this is not an absolute requirement, I can update my patch again, and only enable it, when an explicit configure option is provided.

Matthias