Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

On Sep 9, 2010, at 3:11 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

> Can we (legally) merge Apple's Objective-C / Objective-C++ modifications to GCC into FSF GCC trunk ?
> Any legal obstacles ?
>
> If we start producing patches to the current FSF GCC trunk that merge these modifications, would they be accepted ?
>
> I think Apple would benefit from merging of their modifications in that we'd merge the Apple/NeXT runtime support as well. :-)
> They don't have to do any work.

Be aware that none of the changes that haven't been committed to the FSF trees are copyright-assigned to the FSF.  In practice, since the FSF cares about copyright assignment, this probably means that you can probably merge whatever is in the apple branch on the FSF server, but you can't take things out of llvm-gcc or the apple gcc tarballs that get pushed out on opendarwin.

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice, just my understanding of FSF policies and the mechanics of how the copyright transfer works.

-Chris