GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2007-11-27)

Status
======

We are in Stage 3.  When we reach 100 open regressions, we will go to
regression-only mode.  When we approach the 4.3.0 release, we will
create a branch, and open Stage 1 for 4.4.0.

Issues
======

1. I noticed that there are quite a few P2 ICE reports regarding
   variadic templates.  Doug Gregor, would you please look into these?
   Jason, would you be able to review Doug's patches (as the arrive),
   given that you've looked at much of the rest of his code?

2. PR 33928, PR31897, PR32086 are performance regressions of large
   magnitude.  There are several more as well.  I would like to
   understand what's going on in these cases.  If they indicate bugs
   in algorithms that we've implemented, I'd like to have time to fix
   them -- rather than get into the situation where any fix is too
   risky because we're so close to a release.  I'd also be interested
   in any other benchmark data for 4.3, relative to previous releases.

Quality Data
============

We've made some progress over the past couple of weeks.  Kudos to all
who have been contributing and reviewing patches!  In particular,
we've made a dent in P2s, and are now down to 134 total regressions
open.

Unfortunately, a large number (33) of those are P1s.  The vast major
of the P1s are 4.3-only regressions, so we've got wrong-code or
ICE-on-valid regressions that need solving.  I noticed several issues
relating to -ftree-loop-linear.  I realize that some of the
optimization options that are mentioned in the P1s are new, and not on
by default -- but we'll be announcing these new options, and users
will want to use them, so it's best if they work.

Priority	  #	Change from Last Report
--------	---	-----------------------
P1		 33	-  3
P2		 97	- 18