Re: Accessing the subversion repository

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 12:36 +0000, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Joern and I are having difficulty accessing the subversion test repository.
>
> "svn co svn://svn.toolchain.org/svn/gcc/trunk" does not work due to the ST
> corporate firewall (don't ask - the wheels turn slowly), so I have been
> looking for an alternative approach.
>
> Is there any alternative to straight svn protocol set up? I know subversion
> supports them, but I haven't seen anything on the list or wiki announcing
> it.
>
> I have tried "svn co svn+shh://svn.toolchain.org/svn/gcc/trunk", but that
> does not work either. I appear to have contacted the remote ssh server, but
> the devtest username and password given do not seem to work. Are they are
> for svn only?. Or am I missing some settings somewhere?

The ssh username is actually gcc, password foo2bar

so svn+ssh://gcc@svn.toolchain.org/gcc/trunk

would work (note for ssh, it's /gcc/trunk, not /svn/gcc/trunk. This is
because it's running svnserve with a different root.  Just an oversight,
AFAIK :P)

I should note that svn treats it's remote connections as disposable, so
svn+ssh will probably connect more than once for things like remote
diffs.  So if it takes a while to authenticate, this may not be your
best bet if you are looking for blazing speed (as some seem to be :P).

On the live repo, we should be able to provide http/https for people who
feel svn+ssh is too slow.

> I have also tried "svn co http://svn.toolchain.org/svn/gcc/trunk";, but this
> is just a guess and receives the response "302 Moved Temporarily" (once I
> figured out .subversion/servers proxy settings). Is this just the wrong URL?
> It might be that our proxy does not support DAV?

No, i never asked our kind host to set up DAV for this repository,
because he doesn't have DAV enabled for his other repos, AFAIK.

I can, of course, ask.

> The subversion book at red-bean seems to cover server setup, but is rather
> light on client setup (not that I have read it in detail).
>
> If no other method currently exists, is there any possibility of getting one
> set up?

For purposes of testing, maybe, maybe not.
again, i'll ask.

>  Also, once (if) the subversion repository goes 'live' on
> gcc.gnu.org, is there any plans to support the alternative protocols?

We should be able to.
Note that allowing anonymous over http should alleviate JSM's "Log
sending uncompressed" complaint, since you can set it to enable deflate
by default if you wanted, so that even log output would be compressed.
(Dunno about cpu usage server side for this).