Re: VAX Ultrix and broken getgroups(3)

John David Anglin wrote:
> I have another thought on fixing the getgroups argument problem.
> An ultrix inclhack could be defined to prototype getgroups.  If getgroups
> is prototyped, I don't think fix-header will touch it.  This avoids
> changing sys-protos.h.  Thoughts?

True, if there's already a proto, then fix-header won't add its own.

I don't want to present myself as an expert on what the right thing
to do is, however.  Probably the "right thing" WRT systems that
declare "gid_t" as short with a getgroups() that fills in an array of int
is to declare such systems as "hopelessly brain dead" and euthanize them.
Not everyone would agree.  It is certainly possible, however, to adapt
the configure test into fixincl and spit out a prototype that
fix-header will leave alone.  A lot of work.  Is it worth it?
*I* don't think such systems are worth the trouble.
Not everyone would agree.  :-)