Re: "GNU_AS" symbol in IA-64 bits

In article <20000605142300.A72699@dragon.nuxi.com> you write:
>On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 02:14:43PM -0700, Jim Wilson wrote:
>I'd prefer things to be consistent for my greping success.
>s/GAS/GNU_AS/g would have the same effect.  Would that be preferable?

I would prefer that, but we'd have to ask other port maintainers whether
they can accept the command line option name change.

Or maybe I am not taking you literally enough?  Maybe you should clarify
exactly what you want to change.

I assume you mean that you want to change TARGET_GAS to TARGET_GNU_AS, and
-mgas to -mgnu-as.  Or vice versa.  Are you suggesting only changes to the
TARGET_* macro?  I don't like that.  I don't like the idea of changing one
but not the other.  That would make the TARGET_* macros inconsistent with the
command line options that they implement.

I can see changing them if you want to make command line options consistent
across all ports.  However, I can't see changing them for grep.  You still
need to grep for both "GNU as" and "gas" because there will still be places
that use both.

You certainly should not change the --with-gnu-as configure option name.
That would break configure for too many people.  So a wholesale change from
"GNU as" to "GAS" is not possible.  A wholesale change from "GAS" to "GNU as"
should be OK, but would require some possibly inconvenient option name
changes.

Jim