Standard header format.

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr@integrable-solutions.net
Sun Jun 6 13:03:00 GMT 2004


"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@globalsymmetry.com> writes:

| On Sunday 06 June 2004 02:18, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@globalsymmetry.com> writes:
| > | There are many C++ programmers who have suggested to me the best way
| > | to learn  what the standard headers probide is to look a them.
| >
| > That definitely is not the best way.  It is one of the worst way.
| 
| If there are actually header files in the traditional sense that look like 
| this:

[...]

| for example, then looking at the "standard headers" would be a worthwhile 
| means of determining what is provided by the Standard Library.

Again, the best place to look for what is provided by the Standard
Library is to read the Standard Library documentation and books that
document them.

[...]

| It seems to me the model he presents in §24.4 he presents exactly the kind of 
| approach I am suggesting.

Again you're ill-speculating about what he suggested.

| > | It's not the
| > | best overall definition of 'interface' possible, but it seemed the most
| > | appropriate.
| >
| > No, a meaning that includes non-delarations is more appropriate.
| >
| > [...]
| 
| My preference is to resort the the Latin for a proper understanding of what 
| word means.

Then, you're in another dead end.

[...]

| Perhaps that is an approach.  I believe the reason you have not been 
| understanding what I've been presenting is that I am working from a different 
My disagreement with your allegation does not mean I do not understand
| what you're stating.

[...]

| signatures it provides.  You seem to only view an interface as something I 
| can access assuming I already have a description from some other source.

In this *specific case* of standard headers, yes.

-- Gaby



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list