Two or three initial observations on the fp prining patch

Jerry Quinn jlquinn@optonline.net
Thu Nov 20 04:15:00 GMT 2003

Paolo Carlini writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > finally I'm beginning to play a bit with the actual patch.

Great!

 > The next step is dealing with the various configury bits:
 >
 > * IEEE, IBM, or VAX
 > For this, one of the most difficult, we should probably start from
 > the macros present in v2 code and generalize it to the architectures
 > currently supported.

Out of curiosity, how many supported platforms are not ieee?

Also, we need to determine if long double is an 80 bit or 128 bit
representation.  In the code, I added a macro IEEE_QUAD.

 > * big or little endian
 > This seems easy, in principle. Probably, instead of the awful test
 > present in v2 we can use FLOAT_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN, as suggested by
 > Jerry

I started to look at this but got lost.  FLOAT_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN is
only available in the compiler itself.  It appears to be set by the
various back end files, which will make it difficult to get to for the
library.

Jerry