new autocrasher errors

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 14:55:00 GMT 2002


I realize there has been some churn recently WRT ABI and
versioning. However, I think that things should be working now.

Mainline has additional symbols, due to the codecvt work, and missing
symbols, due to the first round of allocator cleanups, and cannot
reasonably expected to be binary compatible with the 3_2-branch library. 

I consider this ok. Mainline is not a release branch so I'm not too
worried about it at the moment. These patches are easy to revert, in
any case, if a new stable branch is cut and ABI compatibility is
desired.

However, when the autocrasher catches up, the 3_2-branch library
sources, built with g++'s of gcc and gcc_3_2-branch should be
interchangeable.

It doesn't look like they are right now:
http://www.devphil.com/build/newchain_oldlib.txt

Any more details possible?

Also, abi_check.cc will have to be augmented to deal with related
symbol versions, ie GLIBCPP_3.2.1 is not something to worry about.
Anybody have any good ideas about how this should be done? Symbol
versions are stored as strings right now so I guess that helps.

-benjamin



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list