Problem with libstdc++-v3/po Makefile

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@unitus.it
Tue Jan 8 10:50:00 GMT 2002

Phil Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:33:45PM +0100, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> > Well I'm going to comment ;-)
> > Mine is not a technical comment: in your opinion, it is really impossible to fix
> > in-source builds?
>
> I have no idea.  I don't know why they were/are required by GCC in the
> first place.  (But I'll bet the answer involves multilibs somehow.)
>
> All I do know is that in-source builds break more often and in stranger
> ways than objdir builds.

Agreed.

> > Every day I talk with people that find really *unusual* the concept itself of an
> > "objdir"!
> > Indeed, for how many other GNU softwares is it compulsory?
>
> Compulsory?  No other software project /requires/ it, I think.

Me too ;-)

> But even then it's very very useful:  you can have multiple builds going
> at the same time, all reading source from the same tree, but writing
> changes into different directories.  The different builds can even be on
> different machines, with the source directory shared over the network,
> and the objdir directories local to each machine, etc.
>
> This benefit doesn't become apparent until you start developing on multiple
> architectures.  Then it becomes almost required:  edit the code in one
> location, then in three different windows, logged onto three different
> systems in three different objdirs, type "make" and they all build from
> the same source directory.
>
> If this weren't possible, you'd have to make three copies of the source
> tree befire building in each one.

We completely agree on this too, Phil. Of course when you are developing is immensely
useful to have a source dir separate from the objdir.

But consider those people which want just to build and install: for them is not
useful at all, and they find it unnecessarily complex.

If I could decide something in this area I would say: let's *fix* in-source builds
while keeping *of course* the possibility of srcdir != objdir.

... if this is not viable at the moment your solution is a must, but it should be
*completely* automatic! It is?

Cheers,