Problem with libstdc++-v3/po Makefile

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@unitus.it
Tue Jan 8 10:34:00 GMT 2002

Phil Edwards wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:20:31AM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > You're building in the source directory?  That's known to be broken,
> > please use a separate build directory!
>
> I threw out a suggestion & pseudocode patch (gcc list, 3 Jan) to turn all
> in-source builds into separate objdir builds, thus killing this once and
> for all.  Nobody commented.

Well I'm going to comment ;-)
Mine is not a technical comment: in your opinion, it is really impossible to fix
in-source builds? Why? I'm really naive in this area and mine, Phil, is a genuine
curiosity!
Every day I talk with people that find really *unusual* the concept itself of an
"objdir"!
Indeed, for how many other GNU softwares is it compulsory?

Cheers,