Problems with the new concepts checking code (boost)

Phil Edwards pedwards@disaster.jaj.com
Fri Apr 6 11:27:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 02:43:33AM +0200, Peter Schmid wrote:
> >Did you change the name of the guarding macro in the
> >Boost header?
> Yes, finally I did that to get
> /libs/concept_check/concept_check_test.cpp to compile.

Something is certainly broken somewhere.  I would have expected changing
the guarding header to break things, not fix them.

> >That was a design decision for Boost; Jeremy et al knows about it.
> >(See the Boost web page for more on that one.)
> I have read that document sometime before. I was aware that the
> messages were less concise, but did not expect this increase in
> verbosity, since the checking "code was simplified" according to the
> documentation shipped with boost.

Just because the code was simplified doesn't mean that the compiler's
diagnostics became shorter...

> In the file boost_concept_check.h from libstdc++ there is a note that
> this code is based on version 1.12.0 of the Boost library, maybe these
> checking routines  are incompatible with version 1.21.1 of the boost
> repository?

The note on 1.12.0 was based on email with the author.  I don't know where
1.21.1 is coming from.  I can't find anything marked 1.21.1 in the Boost
CVS repository.

Let me see how the boost testsuite behaves on my machine.  I would definitely
like to get this cleaned up and fixed soon; I fear that if we keep removing
the checks nobody will ever use them.  If I do not find a better solution
by Monday I'll disable them by default.  (Turning them off in the 2.92
snapshot would probably be wise.)

Phil