C++ err msgs [ was Re: building libstdc++-v3 from the 20000105 snapshot dies with multiple def errors. ]

Steven King sxking@uswest.net
Wed May 10 11:03:00 GMT 2000


On Wed, 10 May 2000, Dr. David Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>   I know this one is probably off topic a bit, but Benjamins mail which
> included the library build errors reminded me of something.
> 
> Is there any way to make the errors which appear after misusing parts of
> the library (especially some of the template classes) more friendly?  New
> users run a mile when they get a single error message half a page
> long.....

for 2.95, I find it helps to pipe the output through a sed script to collapse
the template names.  ie

#!/bin/sed -f
s/,\([ ]*\)std::allocator<\([^>]*\)>//g
s/std::basic_string<char,\([ ]*\)std::char_traits<char>\([ ]*\)>/string/g
s/std::basic_string<wchar_t,\([ ]*\)std::char_traits<wchar_t>\([ ]*\)>/wstring/g

This wont work for 2.96, but its not needed as much.  (I just 2.96 wouldnt
prefix each continuation line the file name...)


-- 
Steven King
sxking@uswest.net


More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list