Creating and using GCJ ARM cross compiler

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 10:28:00 GMT 2008

Matthijs van de Water wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>  I'm using gcj Version 4.3 on my ARM Debian box all the time and it works
>>  perfectly.  Your insistence on using this old release seems to me
>>  to be quite perverse.
> The reason to want to use 4.2.3 is mostly related to the rest of my
> (embedded) distribution. Apparently a number of packages inside
> OpenEmbedded break when you try to compile them with GCC 4.3 (probably
> easily fixable) and on the whole GCC 4.3 has not been widely used for
> Embedded distributions. I'm much more at ease with a GCC version that
> 'everyone else' is also using, which it seems GCC 4.3 is not yet. On
> the other hand I need GCJ for one Java application, so that would ask
> for GCC 4.3.

I see.  The trouble is that I am the best person in the world to help
you, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a patched Debian-only
version of gcc.

> I was hoping to work around that by using the 4.2.3 Ubuntu branch and
> have the best of both: a stable and widely used GCC and the state of
> the art GCJ.

Well, we don't know what's wrong.  It might be quite minor or it might
be a big problem.  I suspect that exception handling is broken, but
there's no way to know until you step through with gdb to find out
where the problem happens.

> As an alternative solution, would it be possible to mix the two: use
> GCC 4.2 for everything except Java and 4.3 only for this one Java
> project? I'm going to compile -static-libgcj anyway, so that would
> probably only mean two versions of libstdc++? If libstdc++ is the only
> one that I need to double (same glibc, same pthreads, ...) that means
> only ~700KB of extra disk usage...

Right.

Andrew.