[win32] -Djava.library.path

Marco Trudel mtrudel@gmx.ch
Tue Sep 19 19:28:00 GMT 2006

Michael Koch wrote:
>>> Marco> I use GCJ 4.2.0 (20060630) on linux and windows.
>>> Marco> While passing -Djava.library.path=foobar to GCJ leads to the
>>> expected
>>> Marco> behaviour on linux, it seems to be ignored on windows.
>>>
>>> Marco> Is this a known bug/problem (I didn't find anything on google or the
>>> Marco> GCC bugzilla) or shall I make a bug report?
>>> Marco> Has anyone an idea for a workaround?
>>>
>>> Offhand I would expect this to work ok.  You might verify that
>>> USE_LTDL is set on Windows; see the two definitions of _Jv_SetDLLSearchPath
>>> in natSystemProperties.cc.
>> I will do that the next time I compile GCJ for windows. I'll come back
>> to you.
>>

>>> Filing a bug report is a good idea.  Put '[win32]' in the synopsis.
>>> Note though that Windows-specific things are worked on very rarely; in
>>> fact we're having a problem getting an existing patch tested on
>>> Windows, and this is turning into a blocker.
>> I know but don't really understand. I mean, for most of you guys, this
>> really is easier than to tie your shoes...
>> Is it a kind of "I hate windows" thing, or is it just too painful to
>> crosscompile GCJ and test it on windows (with vmware or similar, linux
>> doesn't even have to be shut down ;-)).
>> But ok, we could arrange that I could test stuff regularly. Lets say
>> once a week or once every two week... Interested?
>
> You still need a windows license. A license of a system you dont reall
> know. You cannot force anyone to purchase a windows license just to test
> if a recent change regresses on windows.

So, it goes into the "I don't like windows" direction ;-)
Actually, licenses shouldn't be a problem. Microsoft somehow managed
that laptops are mostly delivered with already paid licenses. Another
good thing are universities. I could imagine that the one or other here
is or was on one. But I guess these licenses will get invalid once one
leaves it...
But I understand the "I don't like windows" thing. I'm not that
unfamilar with that attitude myself.

> On the other hand a person that is interested in windows support and
> with the needed system can easily do the testing, reporting and bug
> fixing.
>
> Marco, it would be great if you could help with this.

We could start with testing and I'll work on the fixing part. I'm coming
from the java side but I want to get more in touch with c. GCJ seems to
be the ideal project for that...

Marco