OS-X (ppc) and libjava status

Andi Vajda andi@osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 19 21:33:00 GMT 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> I do not count external patches/hacks. This is not my goal. My goal is an out
> of the box working gcc/gcj without any external modifications.
> And this is at the moment only possible if one uses one of the latest svn
> trunk snapshots with darwin-8.x.x.

That is a great goal. It's been almost true with gcj 3.4.x (I have to #define
LARGE_CONFIG in gc_privs.h to work around the 'too many root sets' error).

gcj 4.x seems pretty far off that goal on all platforms except for maybe
Fedora. Patches are necessary to make gcj 4.x produce sane PyLucene binaries
on Intel Mac OS X or Gentoo Linux. I've not succeeded in building a sane
gcj 4.x for Windows. Last I tried building gcj 4.1.1 out of the box on Ubuntu
6.06, I had to revert to gcj 3.4.6 to get sane executables.

I understand that your message was about PPC Darwin. Is the same true about
Intel Darwin ? Have the large set of patches produced by Sandro Tolaini for
Intel Darwin gcj 4.0.2 been committed to the trunk yet ?

> It's cool that the functionality is working for you with older releases,
> both, the os and gcc. And it's more cool that you have an actual use case for
> it.

It's very very cool that gcj even exists. Inspite of the large number of
challenges with using gcj on a bunch of platforms, the rewards are well worth
the effort.

Thanks again for having made gcj work on PPC OS X !

Andi..