OS-X (ppc) and libjava status

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Wed Jul 19 20:52:00 GMT 2006

Andi Vajda wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>
>> So, the message I want to bring over is, if one wants to play with
>> libgcj under OS-X/darwin he/she should make sure to use a version more
>> recent than darwin-8.0.0. Everything before only works for simple
>> 'Hello World' on the command line.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I've been using gcj 3.4.x
> on PPC Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 for over two years now on the PyLucene
> project. gcj 4.1.0 can be made to work on PPC Mac OS X 10.4 when
> building it from darwinports and gcj 4.0.2 can be made to work on Intel
> Mac OS X 10.4 with a large set of patches.

Sorry, I was not clear. I meant the svn trunk.

You're right, I enabled libjava for darwin about three years ago. Since
then I was able to run a lot of stuff with it with different releases.
Libjava changed/improved a lot and quite a few of its functionality will
not work with older (< 10.4) darwin releases.

> Even static links of the PyLucene python extension and libgcj.a are
> possible with gcj 3.4.x provided you play tricks with force-pulling in
> some symbols.

I do not count external patches/hacks. This is not my goal. My goal is
an out of the box working gcc/gcj without any external modifications.
And this is at the moment only possible if one uses one of the latest
svn trunk snapshots with darwin-8.x.x.

It's cool that the functionality is working for you with older releases,
both, the os and gcc. And it's more cool that you have an actual use
case for it.

This status mail was meant mainly for gcc/gcj hackers which try to add
new features to gcj and testing them under darwin.

Thanks for the feedback,
Andreas