implementing escape analysis

Diego Novillo dnovillo@redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 17:23:00 GMT 2006

Andrew Haley wrote:

> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/gupta/escape.ps
>
> But I probably wouldn't recommend you to do it in a gcj-specific way.
> gcj is merely the Java language front-end for gcc, and there may be a
> plan for escape analysis that will suit all gcc's languages that can
> use it.

Oh, excellent.  It's been in my wish list for a while.  I agree with
Andrew, this analysis should not be done in the individual front ends.
At worst, I could envision langhooks if we needed to get some
FE-specific information.

Choi's paper is a good start.  I remember it being quite reasonable, but
I am not aware of recent results in the literature.  We already have
some primitive (well, embarrassing) support for determining escape
points.  See tree-ssa-alias.c:is_escape_site.

Essentially, a good escape analysis technique should probably be
incorporated at that point.  I have not yet thought about the details,
but I'd be happy to help with the implementation.