class library bug fixes for 4.1.x

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Sun Dec 11 13:42:00 GMT 2005

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 13:02 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> There are a few bug fixes I'd like to apply to the 4.1.x branch.

Do you have a list?

> I'm thinking that we should just apply patches directly to
> libjava/classpath/ on the branch, as needed, and put the ChangeLog
> entry into libjava/classpath/ChangeLog.gcj.  Having minor divergences
> here seems ok to me since it is a release branch and we probably
> won't be doing another major merge there.
>
> Please comment.

I would actually like to do another import before end of December (and
release GNU Classpath 0.20 at the same time). But I can understand the
fear that this will be too disruptive for the 4.1 branch. I don't know
when 4.1 is expected to be finalized. I see that there are more than 100
serious regressions (and more than 200 regressions in total), so I guess
we probably won't see a 4.1 release soon.

If we don't do another import before 4.1 is release what would you
suggest the "backport criteria" to be? Should we just say that if
someone reports a bug against a real world application (as distributed
with one of the major distros) that is fixed on the trunk or in
classpath upstream it is a valid target for backporting to the branch?

Cheers,

Mark