Installing libgcj consumes huge amounts of memory

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Sun Dec 4 15:15:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 11:48 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> This might be caused by my patch to reduce compile time in classpath. I
> know I tested memory use back then, but this might have only been with
> respect to the gcj invocations. I'll try reversing this patch and retest
> later today or tomorrow. But if someone has time earlier then please let
> me know if reverting this helps or not.
>
> 2005-09-21  Mark Wielaard  <mark@klomp.org>
>
>         * lib/split-for-gcj.sh: Cut list to 3 package levels deep.

I reversed this (patch attached) and now my build with ulimit -v450000
passes. But the total virtual memory usage didn't drop that much. It was
around 454MB top usage, to 438MB top usage. Build time increased with
several minutes. Maybe this was just the tipping point for your setup?

Still looking for some other explanation why this seems to show up just
now.

Cheers,

Mark