help with gcj for embedded platform

Scott Gilbertson scottg@mantatest.com
Fri Mar 26 16:03:00 GMT 2004

I'm not sure I'm the one to ask about what runtime environments are
available.  I'm developing a linux java application on x86, compiled with
GCJ.  My application uses AWT/xlib and is statically compiled and stripped.
I have found GCJ to be an excellent development tool for embedded systems
using x86 processors.  That's about the extent of what I know that's
relavent to your concerns.

Here are the main points about building applications for embedded systems
using Java, as I see things:

If you can get GCJ to produce binaries for your target hardware (which
sounds likely), I'd think it would be a good choice for your embedded
application, using static builds.  If you want a Java runtime (as opposed to
a native compiler), you're kind of stuck with big libraries, which is
probably no good for your application.  By the way, you can use GCJ as a
java runtime, and execute .class files with it, but it's large when used
that way, relative to a single statically-linked application.

I suspect your best bet is to bone up on command-line compilation and maybe
makefiles, and statically build a binary with GCJ.  Particularly so since
you're not using graphics, because apart from awt/swing (which are improving
rapidly) GCJ's library support is quite good.  Also, if there's some little
thing missing from the libraries and you post details and a test case on
this mailing list, it will often be fixed right away. Non-graphical,
statically-linked, stripped GCJ-compiled binaries are generally under two
megs, I think.

You compile each java file like so:
    gcj -O2 -c -o ClassFileName.o ClassFileName.java --classpath=.

In general, to do a static link, you link like so:
     gcj --main=SomeClassname -o
executableName -static -shared-libgcc -lstdc++ anObject.o anotherObject.o
I forget why I needed "-shared-libgcc".

To strip the executable (delete all the symbol information, etc., that's not
strictly required to run the program), do:
    strip executableName

Depending on what classes you're using, you may also need some "-u"
parameters on your link line, to force it to link in classes which are
dynamically loaded in your application (or in the libraries).  It's
generally easier, though to put lines like the following in one of your Java
files, which accomplishes the same thing:
    private static Class cl2 = gnu.gcj.convert.Output_UTF8.class;

I hope that helps.