BugReport for gcj-3.3 java frontend

Michael Koch konqueror@gmx.de
Fri Mar 12 08:02:00 GMT 2004

Am Freitag, 12. März 2004 08:51 schrieb Per Bothner:
> Michael Koch wrote:
> > No need to give our users a rant because they use the "current"
> > stable version of our compiler. I second Tom. Its a great bug
> > report.
>
> Now I'm annoyed.  I did not give anyone a "rant".
> But it's a fact that many bugs that people will report
> have been fixed in the CVS sources, and it would help us
> if people could check this first.  Of course sometimes
> that is difficult for people, and this particular bug
> report was nice and simple to test.  At least people
> need to understand we don't have time to work on old versions.

Sorry, but I read your mail as a rant. In fact we are maintaining stable
branches of our compilers (thats not really done for gcj, sigh). If
possible this would be a good candidate to get fix in a next stable
revision. The bugreport was VERY good too. It was very complete and
detailed and easy to reproduce with newer versions of our compiler
(3.4.0 branch and trunk). I think we should encourage people to write
those detailed reports, even when this bug doesnt apply to CVS versions
anymore. We cant expect everyone is using gcc CVS. And 3.3 isn't really
old either.

Michael