Null Pointer Exception in LibgcjInternalFinalizerThread

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Thu Mar 4 17:35:00 GMT 2004

Rudy Nedved wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am getting a null pointer exception in libgcj's finalizer thread
> using the
> 3.3.1 gcc and some additional deltas pulled in from 3.3.3.
>
> The stack trace pops up after a while in a large java system and shows
>            java.util.Vector.addAll(Collection c)
> being called by the finalizer thread with probably a null pointer
> for the collection....
>
> I found a thread discussing something similiar but related to reference
> objects:
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-08/msg00247.html
>
> My *real* question is why can't you have finalizations causing
> exceptions? Shouldn't this be expected and ignored?

If you are using Reference objects, then you are probably running into
the bug.  The fix never made it into the gcc-3_3-branch.

I beleive that the changes you want are in java/lang/ref/Reference.java
Rev 1.7 and java/lang/ref/natReference.cc Rev 1.5

David Daney.