Building GCC with native Solaris ld fails

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Mon Jan 19 20:30:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > No problem for me on Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, 8 and 9 two days ago.  And I
> > haven't seen any report like yours in the bug database.
> >
> > What is your exact configuration (OS, as, ld)?
>
> SunOS nunki 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
> as: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 Compiler Common 6.2 Solaris_9_CBE 2001/04/02
> ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris Link Editors: 5.9-1.377
>
> and
>
> ./configure --prefix=... --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java --disable-checking

FYI, I could not reproduce this on a new build (I usually use GNU binutils
on Solaris though).  But I only have Solaris 8.

Or perhaps it succeeds anyway if you have enough swap.  I have about
1.5GB.

Note that the Solaris kernel supports absurdly long command lines
(~390KB), so you may not be getting incremental linking at all.

Is there a PR open for the libgcj.so link (big, slow, etc.)?  I don't
remember one.

Jeff