Building GCC with native Solaris ld fails

Gerald Pfeifer gerald@pfeifer.com
Mon Jan 19 19:41:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>| I didn't succeed building GCC (be it 3.3 or mainline) with native
>| Solaris ld for months:
> When, you say "for months" concerning GCC-3.3.x, may you give some
> idea as to back to when?

Sorry, not exactly, but surely predating 3.3.2, and perhaps even
covering all 3.3 based releases.

On Mon, 18 Jan 2004, Tom Tromey wrote:
>> Don't we have machinery to split the huge link into pieces in cases
>> like this?
> I think you're probably thinking of the machinery that exists to split
> the long command lines into pieces.

Heh, you'd make a good mind reader! :-)

> For 3.5 we're planning to split libgcj.so into several separate
> libraries.  For this to work well requires the new binary
> compatibility ABI (aka -findirect-dispatch) to be more complete (some
> runtime patches are missing) and tested.  So, help is on the way, but
> not immediately.

To have this at least in the 3.5 timeframe really would be great, thanks.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> No problem for me on Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, 8 and 9 two days ago.  And I
> haven't seen any report like yours in the bug database.
>
> What is your exact configuration (OS, as, ld)?

SunOS nunki 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
as: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 Compiler Common 6.2 Solaris_9_CBE 2001/04/02
ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris Link Editors: 5.9-1.377

and

./configure --prefix=... --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java --disable-checking

Can you reproduce the problem?

Gerald