Stallman lamenting that GCJ and ClassPath are still (read: eternally) catching up ...

Dalibor Topic robilad@kaffe.org
Wed Apr 14 10:49:00 GMT 2004

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Christopher> Does gcj support more architectures?
>
> It probably does, though I don't know what all the Sun JDK supports.
> gcj is sometimes the first jvm ported to a given architecture.  I
> think this was the case for IA-64 (though Dalibor thinks it was kaffe
> :-) and x86-64.

Yeah, I thought it was kaffe, in november 2001, with the port from
gwenole beauchesne [1]. But I've also found messages on the gcc lists
suggesting that Hash Boehm had gcj running on ia64 earlier, in october
[2]. So the 'first java runtime ported to ia64' crown goes to gcj, I think.

[1] http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gbeauchesne/ia64/kaffe/
[2] http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0111/2469.html