Stallman lamenting that GCJ and ClassPath are still (read: eternally) catching up ...

Arnaud Vandyck arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be
Thu Apr 15 10:40:00 GMT 2004

Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> writes:

>> Christopher> Does gcj support more architectures?
>> It probably does, though I don't know what all the Sun JDK supports.
>> gcj is sometimes the first jvm ported to a given architecture.  I
>> think this was the case for IA-64 (though Dalibor thinks it was kaffe
>> :-) and x86-64.
>
> Yeah, I thought it was kaffe, in november 2001, with the port from
> gwenole beauchesne [1]. But I've also found messages on the gcc lists
> suggesting that Hash Boehm had gcj running on ia64 earlier, in october
> [2]. So the 'first java runtime ported to ia64' crown goes to gcj, I
> think.
>
> [1] http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gbeauchesne/ia64/kaffe/
> [2] http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0111/2469.html

Dalibor is too fair-play! I love this guy! :-D

--
~/.signature not found

I think it's a little fantastic to try to form a picture in people's
minds of the Debian archive administration team huddled over their
terminals, their faces lit only by a CRT with a little root shell
prompt and the command
"/project/org/ftp.debian.org/cabal/s3kr1t/nuke-non-free.pl" all keyed
in and ready to go, their fingers poised over the enter key, a sweat of
lustful anticipated beading on their upper lips."
		-- Branden Robinson in
		   <20031104211846.GK13131@deadbeast.net> discussing
		   his draft Social Contract amendment