A Quick GCJ 3.3/MingW Update

erik poupaert erik.poupaert@chello.be
Fri May 16 16:02:00 GMT 2003

> In the meantime, if an adventurous soul wants to build GCJ 3.3
> himself/herself, s/he can do so from the CVS sources and
> this one patch, applied to libjava:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2003-q2/msg00111.html
> and the build scripts and instructions referenced here:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-04/msg00162.html
> After applying the patch, you'll need to rerun automake-gcj
> and autoconf. See HACKING in the libjava source directory
> for details.

Hi Mohan,

I actually do need the cross-compiler, and it's been on my todo list to
actually perform the whole procedure.

I studied your pages and Ranjit's too; and I am sure that the
information is correct, but it looks so convoluted that I've restrained
from trying to do it. You need gcc superpowers to successfully do it.

What's really missing, are checkpoints.

After doing something, it should be possible to verify that it was done
correctly. For example, after I compile gcj, I try "gcj -v" and it
usually tells me if it was more or less successful. Building
native/native/native on linux (i.e. host/target/build platform), is
easy, because it's well explained.

Secondly, for each step, it should be possible to roll it back, if it
failed apparently, according to the checkpoint instructions.

I'd love to be supplied with detailed checkpoints in this difficult and
long procedure. I'm sure it will then work out alright.

I know you're very busy nowadays, but is there a way that someone could
re-formulate the building instructions so that mere mortal developers
can execute them too?

Thanks
Erik