--disable-nls vs. libiconv

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu May 8 16:52:00 GMT 2003

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

Jeff> The submitter makes a reasonable argument that gcj shouldn't try
Jeff> to use iconv at all when configured with --disable-nls.  What do
Jeff> others think?

I thought --disable-nls was intended to turn off the gettext
machinery...?

Jeff> a) Try to use iconv anyway

I think this is reasonable.  I'd prefer this.

Jeff> b) Don't attempt to link with iconv support, building a cripped gcj
Jeff> frontend

This is also reasonable.  We default to only allowing utf-8 input on
platforms without iconv.

Jeff> a) looks like the current behavior, but I don't remember if this
Jeff> was a deliberate choice or not.

I don't think it was.  I don't remember thinking about --disable-nls
at all.