--disable-nls vs. libiconv

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Thu May 8 15:19:00 GMT 2003

PR bootstrap/10657 has to do with a bootstrap failure linking jc1 with
-liconv.

The failure has to do with detecting GNU libiconv support in the bootstrap
compiler.  It's not easy to fix, however we can document a workaround.

The submitter makes a reasonable argument that gcj shouldn't try to use
iconv at all when configured with --disable-nls.  What do others think?
Given that gcj needs Unicode, any of the following might be reasonable for
--disable-nls:

a) Try to use iconv anyway
b) Don't attempt to link with iconv support, building a cripped gcj
frontend
c) Don't build the gcj frontend at all

a) looks like the current behavior, but I don't remember if this was a
deliberate choice or not.

Jeff