libgcj/9715: Not all required character encodings are supported

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Mon Feb 17 15:02:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 03:28, Jesse Rosenstock wrote:
> I recognize some of these (UTF-16, UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE) from implementing
> java.nio.charset.  I think UnicodeBigUnmarked is an alias for UTF-16BE, etc.
> I don't know about ISO8859_15.

Yes, see for how to translate between the old/new names:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

ISO8859_15 is just ISO-8859-15 which is supported by iconv. It just
doesn't seem to know about this particular alias. And ISO-8859-15 is
just ISO-8859-1 with a few characters replaces (for example the euro
sign). See http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/ISO-8859-15

> Shall I submit a patch for String.getBytes that tries to decode with
> java.nio.CharsetDecoder if the native iconv version fails (or vice
> versa)?

Cool! I see we already have the decoders in gnu.java.nio.charset.
It would be nice if gnu.gcj.convert could use those and vice versa.

Thanks,

Mark