darwin threads on boehm-gc was Re: Status page

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Wed Feb 12 14:27:00 GMT 2003

Andreas Tobler writes:
 > Boehm, Hans wrote:
 > > It looks like gcj is built with thread support, but the gc is built without.

Aha!  Much is explained!

 > > I forgot about this particular failure mode.  Basically it's
 > > crashing because the allocator finds itself running on a
 > > different stack from the one it's expecting.  It's not surprising
 > > that that would happen in this configuration.
 > >
 > > This build looks extremely unhealthy, in spite of the mixed test
 > > results.  The tests pass only because they're mostly
 > > single-threaded and don't garbage-collect.
 >
 > Ok, then the result should be, as read on gc-mail list, give OSX the
 > thread support?
 > We could at least say from 10.2.3 up ?

You might be pleased to learn that Mac OS X, Version 10.2, just dropped
into my mailbox.

I presume that there will be a bunch of other software/upgrades/etc
required before I can try building gcc.  I'd be grateful if you could
let me know what I'll need.

Andrew.