backtrace() vs. _Unwind_Backtrace()

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Fri Dec 5 19:36:00 GMT 2003

David Mosberger wrote:

>  David.D> The approach for the MIPS port of libgcj is to include a
>  David.D> backtrace() replacement that calls _Unwind_Backtrace().
>  David.D> This works because backtrace() is a weak symbol in glibc.
>  David.D> It sounds like this is essentially what you are suggesting.
>
>  David.D> As I said in the previous message this code is in
>  David.D> sysdep/dwarf2-backtrace.cc.
>
>That sounds fine to me, except could you do s/dwarf2/unwind/ or
>something like that?  The _Unwind_* interface is not at all tied to
>DWARF2 (in fact, it was invented for a non-DWARF2-unwind-info
>platform, which is a bit ironic... ;-).
>
>	--david

I would be happy to change the name of "sysdep/dwarf2-backtrace.cc"
to "sysdep/unwind-backtrace.cc".

However I don't want to do it if you guys want to go with some other
solution.  If you think the approach of using the code currently in
sysdep/dwarf2-backtrace.cc as a starting point it a good one, I will
make the change.  If not, do what ever you want, and I will try adapt
the MIPS port as needed.

David Daney.