compile question about dll of windows

Mohan Embar gnustuff@thisiscool.com
Sat Apr 12 06:22:00 GMT 2003

Hi Anthony,

>I'm sorry, but I haven't been following this thread very closely.  I did
>my experiments on Linux, and tested the DLL under wine.  Aren't the
>command-line limitations unique to Windows hosted tools?

If I'm not mistaken, I think that even for the Linux native build, ar is
invoked multiple times by libtool with the libgcj objects because configure has
deemed that command-line-length limitations are exceeded. In any case,
I'm trying this using cross binutils on Linux. I tried a variant of
what you did here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-12/msg00287.html

..but using -Wl,--whole-archive, as Danny suggested here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-04/msg00141.html

This was my command line:

mingw32-gcj -shared -o libgcj.dll -Wl,--out-implib,libgcj.a -Wl,--export-all-symbols -Wl,--whole-archive libgcj.old.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive

...where ...where libgcj.old.a is my old-style libgcj.a.

mingw32-ld choked.

I'll try again with explicitly listing all .o files.

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/