Implementing Universal Character Names in identifiers

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 11:08:00 GMT 2002

Zack> This all seems entirely reasonable, but please do communicate
Zack> with the Java folks about their requirements.  I've added java@
Zack> to the cc list.

For Java there are two issues that I know of.

One is how non-ascii characters are mangled in symbol names.  We have
something in place now, but I don't think we have a strong requirement
for a particular approach.  If something else is preferred for C++, I
imagine we could change gcj for compatibility.  Note that we don't yet
make ABI stability promises about gcj's output.

The second issue is that of representing Java method and variable
names in C++.  We generate C++ header files from Java .class files,
and the user can make Java method calls, etc, from C++.  So if a Java
method or field has a name containing a non-ascii character, we want
to be able to represent that compatibly in a C++ header.

I assume this is solved by emitting \u escapes in the .h file.  I
haven't really looked into it.  (We haven't ever seen a bug report for
this, so it has had a very low priority.)