Implementing Universal Character Names in identifiers

Joseph S. Myers jsm28@cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 29 12:04:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Ugh.  IMO, this is a defect in both standards - they should simply
> reference UAX15a7 and be done with it.  It's been around since 1998,
> so they don't really have an excuse for not using it.

The normative references are to ISO 10646, not Unicode.  I think that the
normalization forms are part of Unicode only, not ISO 10646, and the ISO
rules may well not permit a normative reference to Unicode.

(And it's still necessary to reference a particular version, and even
normative references to particular versions of ISO standards seem to have
problems.  We were assured at a UK C Panel meeting (by someone at the
level in the UK corresponding to SC22, I think) that when C99 was approved
and C90 became superseded and withdrawn, the normative references in
ISO/IEC 14882 (C++98) to C90 automagically became ones to the superseding
standard, even though such a change is manifestly broken and not intended
by the C++ standard.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk