groan: installation

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Fri Oct 25 09:03:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:
> I don't think we can do anything about the .so build times.

If we compile each package into a single .o (or .lo) file,
then building then .so would need to handle process files,
and fewer cross-file relocations, which *might* speed things up.
It should at least speed up the compilation phase.  Gcj *does*
support compiling an entire package into a single .o/.lo/.s,
in a single jc1 invocation, and this seems to work, so I think
it's a worthwhile and not-too-complex improvement.  (You can
see how I did it in Kawa.)
--
	--Per Bothner