XML class implementation GNU JAXP (was: Java Compiling on HPUX 11.00)

nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 07:11:00 GMT 2002

Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/jaxp.html
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 19:10, Tom Tromey wrote:
> > Yeah.  Our support here is a bit thin.  We once imported some of the
> > org.w3c.* and org.xml.* classes.  However nobody has updated them, and
> > my understanding is that we can't import all of the latest xerces code
> > due to licensing considerations.
> >
> > I've considered simply deleting these classes and requiring people to
> > get and build xerces themselves.
>
> Note that there is a GNU JAXP Project which contains implementations the
> SAX Parser API, DOM Level 2 generic XML data structures and the JAXP
> v1.1 interfaces. It is distributed under a GPL compatible license
> (unlike the Apache Xerces package).
> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/jaxp.html

And we tried quite hard to get gcj support working. We also licenced
it so you guys could use it downstream.

Please do use it if you need a jaxp impl.: we have wasted time and
effort otherwise.

As a general rule I don't think it's a good idea for you guys to be
ditributing extension classes... the bundling is just a Sun marketing
tool after all.

I do think it would be cool if we had some flexible way of
distributing the different components we're all working on, not just
the Sun ones but the bits of kawa, paperclips, etc... that are generic
and useful as well as the jaxp, javamail, jndi, java, etc... libs.

Nic