Implementing Universal Character Names in identifiers

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 11:17:00 GMT 2002

Martin> That sounds good. Are you currently making use of non-ASCII
Martin> identifiers anywhere? If not, would it be acceptable to not
Martin> provide them on platforms that lack assembler capabilities?

We don't use non-ascii identifiers in libgcj.

However, the ability to use these is part of the Java language
specification.  So we have a strong preference for supporting them on
all platforms.  We already do that by mangling the identifiers when we
see a non-ascii character.

We're only concerned with compatibility with g++ here.  It doesn't
matter to us whether C does or does not mangle symbols on a given
platform.