GCJ 3.1: will generated code run on almost all versions of Windows?

Adam Megacz gcj@lists.megacz.com
Fri May 10 20:04:00 GMT 2002

Adam King <aking@dreammechanics.com> writes:
> > I won't know in advance which Windows users will have: 95, 98, NT, 2000,
> > XP or ME.

> We've tested the generated exe under 98, 98SE, ME, NT4.0 and 2000.  It
> works fine under all of them.

gcj-win32 binaries will work with Win95 OSR2 and every OS shipped by
microsoft thereafter.

The "original" Win95 lacks a DLL that gcj-mingw needs (MSVCRT.DLL),
however, virtually every commercial app built with MSVC++ ships with
this DLL (including office), so virtually all copies of the original
Win95 will work as well -- about the only situation where it wouldn't
work is if nothing else had been installed on the machine.

> We will test it with XP next week.

I've tried it. It works fine.

> > I really be able to generate just one file, a .exe, and guarantee it will
> > run on any of these?

> I don't think it can be guaranteed, but it should work.  Our exe does
> exercise almost the entire Java API and there have been very few bugs.
> Those that I have found have been easy to fix.

Have you gotten MessageBox()es with "GC: Thread Stack Pointer out of
range" at all? I get these on occasion, although XWT does some pretty
hairy CNI stuff, so it may be my fault.

  - a

--
The web is dead; long live the Internet.
http://www.xwt.org/