gcj/freenet status 20020504

Goran Thyni goran@kirra.net
Sat May 4 02:41:00 GMT 2002

My sparetime effort to get freenet compiling and running
with upcoming gcj 3.1 made some progress. There seems to
be some important bugfixes going into gcc-CVS recently.

Environmnet:	Debiain GNU/Linux sid/unstable on AMD K6
		256 MB DRAM, 512 MB swap

GCJ:

Configured with: ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc --enable-languages=java --disable-static --enable-threads : (reconfigured)  : (reconfigured)  : (reconfigured)
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.1 20020430 (prerelease)

Freenet is CVS of today.

A Freenet node (fred) is a complex servernode,
quiet large (29MB unstripped) and use threads and I/O
heavily, so it should be a good testbed for gcj.

All tests is with services set to "no" to just exercise
the core node and no servlets code etc.

First I ran as a transistent node and tested with frost,
it ran OK for 15 minutes.
I stopped and reconfigured as a permenent node, announcing and all.
I run OK, but after about 30-40 minutes all memory 256+512 MB was
used up and the node was killed.

I though it was leakage in the node itself, but after a little investigation
I saw some very large processes - a few each of "addr2line" and "c++filt" -
which must have been started by fred. Those processes also remained after
to node where killed and had to be shut down manually.
I think it has something to do with exception handling in libgcj.
Will investigate further and post gccbug(s) when I got some more time
if someone does beat me to it.

happy hacking,
--
Göran Thyni