cygwin failures - assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed:

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri May 3 13:22:00 GMT 2002

David> At last a real bug in the cygwin libjava testsuite.  Most of the
David> compilation tests pass, but all (that I could find) executable
David> tests fail with

David> assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed: file "/usr/local/src/gcc3.1/libjava/java/lang/natObject.cc", line 772

My understanding is that we use the lowest 3 bits to keep some
information about the thin locks.  If this assertion fails, it means
that we've found an object which isn't suitably aligned.  I think this
can mean one of two things:

1. There is a bug in the allocator (unlikely), or
2. The compiler isn't properly aligning an object which it lays out
   statically.  For instance this could happen with some Class object

A bug along these lines was fixed pretty recently:

2002-04-18  Bryce McKinlay  <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz>

	* class.c (make_class_data): Set DECL_ALIGN on static class data,
	for hash synchronization.
	* expr.c (java_expand_expr): Set DECL_ALIGN on static array objects.
	* decl.c (java_init_decl_processing): Don't set TYPE_ALIGN for
	class_type_node.

If you already have this patch then I guess there's another such bug :-(